Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Public Defender Isn't Enough



On January 1, 2015 (New Year's Eve) I was involved in an accident that lead to me being charged with a DUI with Injury. This is a felony that currently has a potential of over three years jail time. As a college educated, career driven professional, I am fighting for this not to happen.

 

It hurts me to type this, let alone go through it. I'm deeply sorry to myself, friends, and family for even having this happen. If I don't get a lawyer, the sentencing will most likely be a sure thing. I also know the importance of having a really good lawyer, because the best ones I've spoken to do not accept payment plans. They'll only accept a lump sum.  

 

I've used a public defender thus far. Providing her over ten recommendation letters, proof of AA classes (as I was told going would help), and signed up for volunteer work. All of which has not prevented the district attorney's office from still administering the worst deal possible.

 

Not having a lawyer and deciding to let a pubilc defender handle this case has been recently taunted, and I honestly didn't realize I needed one, as this is my first true encounter with the system. She convinced me that the letters and classes would ultimately prevent me from any sentencing, but it hasn't. 

 

Now, this is my only option to begin fighting this charge. Your contribution is appreciated immensely. Thanks for your time and consideration. And again, I'm sorry. I've come so very far in my career that jail is not an option. There's so much more I'd like to accomplish in my life. This was a very harsh lesson I needed to learn and I have faith I'll get through this. Thank you so much. Rest assured that I will find some way to repay you as soon as I can.

#FightForMyFuture #FundedJustice


For more information on this story please click here
To read more about Funded Justice, Please visit www.FundedJustice.com

No comments:

Post a Comment