Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The rape resulted in a pregnancy & now the rapist wants custody

My name is Katie Wohl (Coleman). In July of 2013 I was sexually assaulted by someone I considered a friend. The attack was shocking, painful and heinous. The attack resulted in a pregnancy. In the state of MN, there are absolutely no laws on the books to protect a child and mother from the attacker in these cases; meaning, a rapist has the same parental rights as a father that conceived a child out of love. I made the decision not to report the attack at the time due to that fact. At the time this occurred, there was a similar case in Massachusetts hitting the news circuit, where there are also no laws pertaining to these situations. In that instance, her rapist was allowed parental rights and she in turn was sentenced to be chained to her attacker until her child reached the age of 18. After losing one child with my now ex-husband, and never being able to conceive after that, I made the most difficult decision of my life, to go through with the pregnancy and keep my child. I made the decision to turn such a terrible event into a joyous one. I did that for me! On February 5th, 2016 I was served a paternity summons from my attacker. Not only is he requesting he be considered the father, he is alleging I am an unfit parent and also wants to be awarded full legal and physical custody of my son. This individual already has a criminal history of assaults in bars, Two Separate DUI convictions, amongst several other misdemeanors. He and his father have a violent history with each other.  I do not want him near my child, or family. This innocent child is well loved; and is inseparable from the man he's known as his father as well as his younger brother. This is going to be a taxing emotional and legal battle, as well as a financial one. Please consider donating anything at all to help with the legal fees that will go towards prosecuting my attacker, keeping my son with me and his loving father permanently and allowing him to adopt the child he loves so dearly.     

For more information please click here or visit www.fundedjustice.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment