Monday, July 17, 2017

Los Angeles' landlord of darkness

On a personal level:
Douglas James Reed is the owner and landlord of multiple properties in Los Angeles and West Hollywood, California.
I rented one of these from 2014-2016 from him. At the end of the lease, because he said was having financial difficulties, out of sympathy I gave him more time to return my security deposit. That was 9 months ago.
He also asked to keep my furniture and rent it on a month-to-month basis, which was fine. There was no contract, simply informal emails allowing either of us to remove my belongings at any time. 
He is now refusing to give back either.  
His response to my request for the return of my deposit and belongings was to send me the most threatening, harassing and distressing emails, including finding photographs of members of my family on the internet, and sending them to me in blank emails. This includes my 8 year-old nephew and 5 year-old niece. 
These emails have not stopped; I received another an hour ago.
On a public level:
Douglas Reed has been renting houses to people which are not only unsafe and unstable, but also violate LA building code after building code.
Over the years, he has exhibited the most aggressive, bullying behaviour towards his tenants, and I don't know one he has returned a security deposit to. 
I realise I should have spoken up sooner, but I must confess I liked the house I rented and just wanted to keep things calm while I lived there. 
But I've now discovered that he is renting these houses on airbnb to tenants/guests, some with young children. On the house I rented, an outside deck is totally unsafe (one construction worker stated that it was a death trap and should be condemned and torn down immediately), the roof is in a terrible state and the gate to the pool is loose, meaning a small child could get through to a swimming pool which is 7 ft deep. 
Another house had a major but "suspicious" fire a few years ago. Not only did he not obtain permits for the reconstruction, he overlooked critical safety issues -- and is now renting out that house for $12,000 per month. 
The list goes on and on...
I cannot afford to take personal legal action against this man, and no attorney is prepared to take it on contigency. 
If anyone were prepared to help, I would quite happily provide a percentage of any settlement.
But taking away my personal interest, perhaps you might want to get involved to expose an individual who cuts corners at every level to rent houses to unsuspecting individuals which violate numerous LA building codes, are unmaintained, and worst of all, are unstable and unsafe. 
Perhaps you might want to get involved to expose an individual who has been cheating, defrauding, bullying, threatening and even blackmailing his tenants.
Perhaps you might want to get involved to send a message to all the slumlords and croked landlords out there that their behaviour will not go unchecked, and that there will be consequences.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment