Thursday, July 20, 2017

Single mom Traded physical abuse for legal abuse

I am Ebone, I am a 23 year old single mom of an awesome 3 year old little lady. I have had full custody since my daughter was 2 months old in 2014. In the past two years I have worked two jobs while taking care of my daughter and finishing my undergraduate studies. I graduated in May of 2015 on time. I began studying to get my master’s degree in early 2016. I work full time and provide as well as I can for my daughter. Unfortunately, I have been battling her father in court on and off for a little over a year now. While I still have full custody, the constant challenge from my child's father and his lawyer forces me to obtain an attorney just to defend my stance as a mother. This time around the allegations have become even more damaging and are requiring more time on my attorney's end and more money. In the meantime, co-parenting has become impossible as the other parent refuses to help with child care and supplies needed for the childcare center. We live about 200 miles apart and the other parent has forced me to drive the full 400 miles to retrieve our daughter. I have reached out for help from the county where the case is currently and received nothing short of discrimination or no follow up. The constant stress and the costs of all of the proceedings has harshly impacted my life and how I am able to provide for our child. I am constantly faced with the choice of buying groceries and paying daycare tuition or paying my attorney. I have been told I make too much to receive any assistance with legal aid and I have attempted to reach out to the family services program to get information on mediation and help to remedy the situation and have been told "I don't know what to tell you." Given the record of the other parent involved, the only way he can regard me as anything less than an amazing mother is by draining me financially and making is so I am unable to provide for our daughter and still pay an attorney to fight him in court. While this is truly hurtful, I do not want it to be the reason he has the slightest chance in court. Any donations will go to my attorney to fight this case. I have faced physical and verbal abuse for the past two+ years and still have managed to be the absolute best parent for my daughter and I do not want her to face the same issues that I faced by the hands of this man. I will be so thankful to anyone who supports us in getting our life back. 
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment